Now I know my ABC’s of decorating: K is for crackle finish

letter K Okay, I know—crackle does not begin with the letter “K but it does sound like the letter “k” and it is such an interesting  finish I thought it would be fun to address it.

A crackle finish is basically a mottled pattern that appears on the surface of an item.  It is created with specialty paints and processes or your own DIY efforts.  It adds interest and an aged appearance to any piece of furniture or cabinetry.  For example:

  • A chest with a crackle finish placed between two beds in a guest room adds a bit of texture in contrast to other smooth finishes that might be in the room
  • A modern bath or kitchen is given a bit of “history” with a crackle finish applied to the vanity and other cabinetry
  • Apply a crackle finish to a brand new piece of furniture and it becomes an antique in waiting while allowing you to enjoy the antiqued look immediately

We recently delivered the London Corner media cabinet from British Traditions with a crackle finish that gives it such a lovely and aged look.

London corner media cabinet from British Traditions and available at

London corner media cabinet from British Traditions and available at

This furniture treatment or finish is a natural enhancement to french country, cottage, coastal, rustic, farmhouse and primitive style interiors and will complement other items in your home’s decor.  Use it on furniture, cabinetry, ceiling beams, doors, window frames and even accessories like stools, picture frames or wall hung shelves.

How do you display a crackle finish in your home’s decor?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

5,106 Spam Comments Blocked so far by Spam Free Wordpress

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>