Inviting country nook with painted and distressed drop leaf table. Photo courtesy of Thistlewood Farms blog
Inviting, friendly, comforting and warm. These are all feelings that come to mind when we think of country and cottage design. But the big question is “How do you decorate a room in order to achieve those feelings?” While there are several ways to accomplish this, here is our list of the top 5 elements of country and/or cottage design that might help you.
- Texture: A country home is full of textures. This comes in the form of soft and fluffy quilts, rough hewn natural wood furnishings, worn metal accents, distressed painted furniture, even the scratches and bumps that can be found on antiques and family heirlooms.
- Muted colors: No bright neons or in your face colors here. The comforting nature of a cottage is enhanced by soft, time worn colors that range from a rusty barn red to the palest of blues and yellows to the softest of greens. Apply these colors to painted furniture, walls, fabrics and accessories.
- Hand-crafted items: A country home celebrates the talent and hard work that goes into creating hand-crafted furnishings, artwork, textiles lighting and other decorative items.
- Collections: A big part of country design is the display of prized collections. This could be a grouping of old pewter candlesticks, a collection of plates hung on the wall, prized quilts stacked on top of an armoire or a selection of family photos in heirloom frames. Collections provide a sense of history and add personality to any home.
- A touch of whimsy: Every home needs a little touch of fun and whimsy. In cottage or country design this often comes in the form of fun and colorful farm animals. Pigs, roosters, chickens and black and white spotted cows are commonly found on dishes, linens, artwork, accent pillows, quilt patterns and rugs.
The goal of any interior design project is to create an environment that meets the needs of the people who occupy the home. The simple and comfortable nature of country and cottage decor is an easy to live with design style that will make your home a peaceful retreat for you and your family.